DIY: Fern “Garland” with a Frame

Hello!

I just wrote a post on shopping for flowers and leaves. To stress a point about extra and unnecessary wastage, here I am typing a post about what I did with the extra ferns I had. I seriously had no idea what to do with my extra ferns and none of my sisters wanted to take them off my hands so I decided to turn it into a little project for my bathroom. I have always liked those walls of leaves which are fairly common in Singapore (duh because we are a garden city!) So I decided to make a mini one for my bathroom where the windows are at. I have always hated the windows and their greens frames but I am not allowed to change the color due to our condo rules blah blah blah so I decided to make it a little nicer. You know the whole life gives you leaves so you make a nice frame decor with it!

I had an old frame from Ikea that I wasn’t using and the plastic had broken. I kept it thinking it might come useful one day and bam, here we are!

Processed with VSCO with hb2 preset

I used these green floral wires I had bought from Daiso for no reason but because I had to have them. It was $2 for 90 pieces of wires. Tell me you wouldn’t have gotten it if it wasn’t $2. Who you kidding?

Processed with VSCO with hb2 preset

I used the wires to make grids on the frames. It was little tricky because I had to also position the larger ferns to make the base while making the grids. (Do I make sense?) While making straight grid lines with the wires, I was also twisting the wires around the stalks of the ferns to give it more security. I also cut the shorter pieces of wire to curl around the stalks and the grid wires when I added more ferns on top to fill in the gaps.

Processed with VSCO with hb2 preset
Processed with VSCO with hb2 preset
Photo 23-9-17, 13 18 25.jpg

I was winging it the whole time. Just add the ferns in any way you like to fill in the gaps. The thickness of the “foliage” is also up to you. I didn’t want it to be too thick or it will look tacky.

Processed with VSCO with hb2 preset

This is my final product after about an hour. (That is obviously not my bathroom window.) It really isn’t difficult! I never know when the idea lightning strikes me.

xoxo

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s