I didn’t expect Caramel Pudding to be so easy to make. The best part is that you can make this delicious dessert without an oven and with very basic ingredients: sugar, eggs and vanilla essence. You can easily find such ingredients in your fridge so you can make it on a whim!
A tip of easy washing up afterwards is to immediately soak the pot with excess caramel and the sugar will dissolve. No scrubbing needed!
- ½ cup Sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Water (enough to cover the sugar)
- 3 Eggs, beaten
- 2 cups Milk
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Essence
- Over a low-medium heat, add sugar and water into a pot and allow it to heat for 7-10 minutes. Make sure that the sugar is fully covered with water. You just have to leave the pot alone without mixing the sugar.
- When you see browning of the sugar, switch off the fire immediately to prevent your caramel from burning. You can slowly stir the caramel and pour it into your individually greased heat-proof bowls. Set aside the bowls for now.
- In a medium-sized pot, combine the milk, sugar and vanilla essence over low heat. Whisk the mixture and allow it to simmer before removing it from the heat. Please note that the original recipe called for ½ cup of sugar but I reduced it by half as I found it to be too sweet. If you have a sweet tooth, you can stick to the original amount.
- Beat your eggs in a separate bowl.
- Whisk in your milk mixture in small batches into the bowl of beaten eggs. You have to whisk the milk in parts to avoid cooking or scrambling the eggs.
- When the pudding mixture is well combined, sift your mixture to prevent any lumps.
- Pour your pudding mixture into the individual bowls with caramel. Be sure to not overfill each bowl.
- Use aluminum foil to cover your bowls before steaming them. Be sure to make sure your steamer is already steaming before adding the bowls of pudding. Allow your pudding to cook for about 10-15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes, remove from the steamer and allow it to cool down to room temperature.
- When your pudding is cooled, place a plate above the bowl and flip it to let the pudding settle nicely on your plate. This is why it’s important to grease your bowls beforehand.
One thought on “4-Ingredient Caramel Pudding Recipe”