This baked shrimp mayo toast has been a staple at many family gatherings and even my high tea parties. It’s so beloved and easy to make! You could easily make this with the 5 main ingredients of mayonnaise, garlic, shrimp, bread, and butter if you’re not interested in grocery shopping beforehand.
It sort of reminds me of a poor man’s lobster roll so you could definitely switch up the baguette for some brioche. There are a few variations of this recipe. You could swap out shrimp for frozen crabmeat or mix it in with the shrimp. I believe that dill goes best with mayonnaise but you could also garnish with basil that’s been chiffonade.
Before you begin, take note:
- You can slice your bread beforehand (which is what I prefer). Personally, this method is more presentable when serving at parties.
- Alternatively, you can slice horizontally the baguette or ciabatta bread in half. So, you’d get a top and bottom like a burger. You’ll only cut your toasts into bite-sized pieces upon serving. This method is much easier if you’re making larger quantities.
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 cloves Garlic, grated
- 42.6g / 3 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 170 – 200g / 6 oz unshelled Shrimp / Crabmeat
- 1-2 tsp Dill
- 2-3 stalks Scallions / Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Baguette / Ciabatta bread
- a pinch of Black Pepper
- a pinch of Garlic Salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with baking/parchment paper and arrange the bread on the baking tray.
- Melt your butter over low heat in a saucepan or a microwave-proof bowl if you’re using the microwave. Set it aside to let it cool slightly.
- Cut your shrimp into smaller pieces. You may also use a food processor but be careful to prevent it from turning into shrimp paste.
- In a large bowl, add the mayonnaise, garlic, shrimp, scallions, black pepper, and garlic salt (if using). Gently mix the mixture before slowing mixing in the melted butter.
- Start spreading the shrimp mixture on the cut side of bread slices.
- Lastly, sprinkle dried dill on the shrimp toasts. Place your shrimp toasts in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
- Let it rest on a cooling rack before cutting into bite-size pieces. Enjoy!
Original recipe from Delightful Plate
One thought on “Baked Shrimp Mayo Toast — The Perfect Snack Recipe”