I’m always interested in making meatless anything. I have yet to find an uncomplicated recipe without 50 ingredients. Many meatless burgers or meatballs usually use 3-5 different types of beans and lentils that are hard to find in the nearby supermarkets. So, I was thrilled when I came across this easier recipe that used only mushrooms. What a dream!
My only trouble with the recipe was that the “meatballs” were a bit too moist for me to handle before and after cooking. So, I do caution you to not add the second egg if it’s too moist. You could also use any sharp cheese instead of cheddar. The original recipe called for Parmesan. So, you do you.
Ingredients (serves 5 as a side dish)
- 400g Portobello Mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ tbsp Olive Oil
- 14.2g / 1 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- ½ cup Onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 64g / ½ cup Instant Oats
- 4 tbsp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 64g / ½ cup Breadcrumbs or Panko
- 4 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Dried Oregano
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and evenly sprinkle a pinch of salt. This would draw out any moisture from the mushrooms. Let it saute for 10 – 15 minutes. It’s important for the liquid to evaporate so you won’t have “wet meatballs”.
- Add the butter to the skillet and continue to saute for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms are golden brown.
- Next, add the onions and let it saute until it becomes translucent before adding the garlic.
- When the garlic is fragrant, transfer this mixture into a mixing bowl. Stir in the oats and make sure it’s well-mixed. Then, mix in the cheddar cheese, breadcrumbs, parsley, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, oregano, and 1 egg. Make sure that it’s thoroughly mixed. You’ll get a sort of crumbly mixture. Then, add the last egg and mix till you get a well-combined mixture. But if you get a very moist mixture, I wouldn’t recommend adding the second egg. Cover and let the mixture rest in your refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- To cook, preheat your oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking/parchment paper. Now, you’re ready to shape your “meatballs”. With a tablespoon, you can roll the “meatballs” with your hands and arrange them on your baking sheet. Bake the “meatballs” for 15 – 20 minutes or until golden brown. Enjoy!
Original recipe from The Iron You
One thought on “Meatless Mushroom Meatballs Recipe”