A Banoffee Meringue Roulade is no different from the traditional pavlova that you’re used to. Its only difference is that it’s much softer and is in the shape of a Swiss Roll. I have to say that it’s rather tricky to roll so be kind to yourself. Don’t worry if it’s not perfect. It’s nothing some generous amounts of chocolate ganache couldn’t fix.
- 4 Large Egg Whites, room temperature
- 1 cup / 200g Granulated Sugar
- 1 tsp Cornstarch / 2 tsp Tapioca Starch
- 2 tsp of Neutral Cooking Oil
- 2 tbsp / 14g Icing Sugar
- 1 cup / 240ml Heavy Cream
- 1 tbsp Granulated Sugar
- 2 Bananas, peeled and chopped
- ½ tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ cup Salted Caramel Sauce
- ¼ cup Chocolate Ganache
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line your rimmed baking tray or baking tin with baking/parchment paper. With a pastry brush, generously grease the baking paper with neutral cooking oil.
- In a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until you get stiff peaks. When you have achieved stiff peaks, gradually add granulated sugar in small amounts while continuously whisking. Be sure to fully incorporate each batch of sugar before adding the next. With the last batch of sugar, add your cornstarch.
- Transfer your meringue onto your baking sheet/tin and even out until you form a uniform layer. Now, you’re ready to bake. Place the meringue in the oven at 180°C for 5 minutes before lowering the temperature to 150°C. Bake the meringue for 15-20 minutes or until it turns a light golden brown.
- While waiting for your meringue to bake, sprinkle the icing sugar on a separate, larger, and lined baking tray. This would be used to transfer your meringue before rolling it into a roulade.
- When ready, remove from the oven and let it cool down for about 10-15 minutes. When it’s cool, turn it onto the prepared baking tray. Be gentle to ensure no breakages of the meringue.
- You can prepare the Banoffee filling when your meringue is baking. Add 1 tbsp sugar to the heavy cream and whip. Also, toss the chopped bananas with the lemon juice.
- Now, assemble your Banoffee Meringue Roulade! Remove the greased baking/parchment paper from the meringue. Spread an even layer of salted caramel sauce before spreading a generous layer of whipped cream. Next, arrange the chopped bananas with lemon juice.
- At one end of the meringue, begin to gently roll it till you get a roulade. Transfer the meringue roulade on to your serving dish before drizzling with generous amounts of chocolate ganache. Enjoy!
Original recipe from Sainsbury
One thought on “Banoffee Meringue Roulade Recipe For When You’re Tired of Traditional Pavlovas”